Today, we learned about the two types of characterization: direct and indirect characterization. We then applied what we learned by analyzing characters from James Baldwin’s “The Rockpile” using the STEAL method: Speech, Thoughts, Effect on Others, Actions, and Looks. Now, apply characterization to yourself. If someone were using the STEAL method to characterize you, how would they describe you? Select all parts of STEAL and explain what they reveal about your personality. Use specific examples. For example, what do your actions reveal about you? What does the way you speak reveal? How do you affect others? What might your thoughts or appearance communicate about who you are?

If someone used the STEAL method to describe me, they would probably say I am funny, curious, and determined. My speech shows that I like to joke around and say what I am thinking. My thoughts show that I am curious because I think about a lot of things and sometimes wonder how stuff works. My effect on others shows that I try to make my friends laugh. My actions show that I do not give up easily when I really want something. My looks show that I am pretty relaxed and do not always try to stand out. Overall, STEAL would show that I am curious, funny, helpful, and determined.


I was not present in class today due to being sick.

I can reflect on this lesson to improve my writing skills. These writing skills can be put into my everyday writing to increase my knowledge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Write about a meaningful object or place in your life that carries a story.

In “Because I could not stop for Death,” Emily Dickinson presents life as a journey that eventually comes to an end. What experiences in your life have reminded you that time moves quickly? How have those experiences affected the way you value your time?

In Part I of A Rose for Emily, Emily’s house stands out from the community and reflects both her past and the changes happening around her. Think about a house, building, or place that holds special memories for you. What does that place look like, what memories do you connect with it, and what does it represent to you?